Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hey Buddy! Take a look at yourself in the mirror!

Christians, in my perspective, have a tendency of being the most judgmental people on the face of the earth. Note that I do not exclude myself from this assessment. Oh, and if you do not agree, just Google it!

I have caught myself many times judging people without first taking a deep look at my own personal faults. As I have related in other posts, I turned my back on the church (and subsequently on God) when I was a teenager. I tried to avoid being criticize and scrutinize... I had decided that it was best for me to stay away. That, in turn, opened the doors for me to question my faith...

I couldn't find any biblical references that would justify the manner in which some Christians would go about judging fellow church goers and non-believers (BTW, I still can't find such references). I could find references that showed me the exact opposite. That taught me to love others... that taught me to intercede for the lost. Yes, there are scriptures that reproof and/or rebuke sin... but the emphasis is always on redemption not condemnation.

I myself became very judgemental towards Christians. I was always ready to discredit them. I would often ask them, "Do you know what is the difference between you and me?... that I accept the fact that I am endulging in sin and you do not!".

I knew a lot about these self-ordained judges... I knew they were not adulterers, fornicators, thieves, or murders (the list goes on...). However, they were accusers... gossipers... people who rejoiced when others were persecuted by the body of the church as a result of their doing.

Scripture does not differentiate between adulterers, gossipers and haters of God:
Rom 1:28 - And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,
Rom 1:29 - being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; {they are} gossips,
Rom 1:30 - slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 - without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;
Rom 1:32 - and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
What ever happened to God's redeeming power? Condemnation does not lead to repentance... it leads to discouragement! It leads people into the world, to sin, to spiritual death!

Why are we so eager to cast the first stone? Didn't Jesus, while addressing the Pharisees, say in John 8:7, "He who is without sin among you, let him {be the} first to throw a stone at her." The Pharisees wanted to stone a woman that was caught in adultery...

Jesus teaches us that judging is OK... but first, let us take a look at ourselves. Let us also remember God's grace. It is about helping our brethren in their struggles!

If I have a speck in my eye, help me take it off... I'll stand still while you do so. However, please be careful! Do not to damage my eye while you're at it!

Look what the Bible says about judging:
Mat 7:1 - "Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
Mat 7:2 - "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Mat 7:3 - "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
Mat 7:4 - "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?
Mat 7:5 - "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
And the following about God's grace:
Rom 5:20 - ...but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,
Rom 5:21 - so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord


4 comments:

  1. Amen My Brother..
    eek!! I saw alot of myself in this post, me also known as Ms Rebillous, had a millon excuses about attending church, you know hyocrites, say something, and do the total opposite, but I knew I could not keep running from the Lord, or making excuses. And yes judging stopped because you point one finger and two gets pointed right back to you etc..
    Much to ponder, and also it helps us to look at how far we have matured!!

    Blessings Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tough subject.

    I wonder if it's human nature to judge. I fight it all the time. Personally I know that this is because I make a lot of decisions based on a deep sense of them being "right." What is right for me, of course, is not right and will not work for everyone.

    V and I spoke about this very thing last night while having a conversation about your last blog post. We were speaking in the context of parenting, but it also extends to different plances in life.

    So... I do not feel as though your family is particularly judgmental. I can say that I have felt judged by many Christians. It's not the end of the world and I try hard not to let it bother me... but it can be very insulting.

    Because I'm not a believer, there is a tendency for Christians (moreso than anyone else it seems) to say, "I will pray for you to find God..." because they have decided that I am missing something in my life. Though I know that this comes from a good place inside of them... can you imagine how insulting it would be for me to do the reverse? I would NEVER EVER do it because it would be so rude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post, this is one of the areas where I try to be very careful, I like to help people, but I have to remember not to judge but give advices with love. We need to help oneanother with the right advice base on God's word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just wanted to thankyou for posting on my blog at 2ndbreakfast...
    i am changing sites, but i wanted to thankyou for posting.

    ReplyDelete